PRINCIPAL CLAIMS CONSULTANT
P: (206) 588-8183 • (206) 588-8201 | E: Spieker@mcmjac.com
Henry Spieker has 30 years of experience in construction claims and as an expert witness, and has spent the past 25 years in the Pacific Northwest market. Henry has provided expert testimony on over two dozen occasions on subjects spanning scheduling and delay analysis, cost impact and disruption analysis, labor productivity, calculation of damages, and wrongful contract termination. Henry also provides project level advice and support to assist clients recognize and resolve potential claim issues, analyze schedule issues, and mitigate and avoid disputes.
Henry has been involved in hundreds of projects of all types, throughout the US and abroad, including residential, schools, and university buildings, hotels and casinos, high-rise, commercial, performing arts venues, highway and bridge, prisons, power plants (solar energy, coal-fired, geothermal and hydroelectric), water and wastewater treatment facilities, industrial, and heavy civil work. He is also experienced in insurance matters, having handled claims involving commercial general liability insurance, builder’s risk, property damage, professional liability, and construction defect. This work followed his experience in general contracting.
Henry provides construction and claims consulting services to owners, contractors, construction managers, design professionals, and attorneys. His experience in preparing and defending construction claims, litigation support, and alternative dispute resolution has involved him in international and domestic projects. He has also lectured on delay analysis and construction claims, having appeared as a guest panelist for the APWA for reducing conflicts during design and construction, and as a guest lecturer for the University of Washington’s Masters in Construction Management program, CM 500 Design and Construction Law.
Areas of Expertise:
- Claims analysis and subsequent preparation, delay analysis, damages review and calculations
- Claims mitigation, inclusive of issue recognition and dispute avoidance for ongoing projects
- Expert testimony, mediation presentation, and mediation negotiation leadership
- Schedule baseline review, analysis of CPM updates, delay analysis, and classification of delays
- Scope of work analysis of design revisions to determine net changes in work scope
- Cost estimating, analysis of change proposals, analysis of cost impacts of delay and change orders
- Contract administration, extension of staff in project controls, and change management
- Strategic advisor to develop, recommend, and implement strategies for claims resolution